Monday, April 6, 2009

Can't Imagine.

As a mom there have been days over the last almost 17 years when I have wondered at my sanity of having children. There has even been the times that I have threatened to return my children to where they came from. This action has always brought My Mother to admonish me that I shouldn't even think those things.

I believe that my children know that I am irritated/tired/fed up or some other emotion when I have made those comments and that I would never ever physically cause them any harm on purpose.

On Sunday, I heard from a neighbor about a Dad in our community who did the unthinkable. He actually took a gun and shot his four children several times while they lay asleep in their beds. His fifth child was killed in the family bathroom. The only "good" part of the story was that the man took his own life, too. They said that he did it because his wife was leaving him for another man.

Unthinkable. Horrible. Beyond words.

My children have gone to school today and I know that there will be grief counselors at all four of the schools here in town. The ages of the children were 7 to 16. Hannah knew the oldest daughter. The 7 year old is in Second grade. I mean was. My Squish is in Second grade. The Teachers at school are supposed to discuss somewhat the terrible incident and try to explain it to the students.

How?

How do you explain to a child that someone they knew is no longer here because their daddy made a terrible choice? Someone who was supposed to take care of their friends decided to hurt them instead? How can you explain that to a child? To a grown-up?

My heart hurts for the Mom. For the children of our little town that have lost friends. For the lost futures of these children. What a shame.

I don't often agree with My Mother. But I have to admit she is right.

1 comment:

Jessica Pears said...

I'd like to make a comment, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with this story. What a terrible, heartbreaking thing to have to go through, even from a distance. It definitely makes one want to think twice about what they say and do and give their leetles an extra hug to remind them that they are loved and safe (especially at home).