Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Homework.

My Squish is in the 1st grade this year and if I must say so... he is by far one of the cutest and smartest boys in the entire school. Not that I am prejudiced or anything.

Over Spring Break he brought home an assignment from class that is due this upcoming Friday. Not a biggie... lots of time (so I thought).

Simply put, Squish had to choose an animal, find it on the internet, discover some interesting facts about the creature, write it all down and last but not least make a "display" of all of the information that he had found. Seem like a bit much for a 1st grader?

The teacher sent home a list of animals to choose from; scorpions, tigers, tarantulas, monkeys, etc. All sorts of great ideas that can be easily found on line with pictures and everything. My son chose to do his project on a Blue-tongued skink. Yep. I didn't know what it was either.


He had read about it in a book at school quite some time ago and thought it was cool. Cool maybe. Easy to find.. not so much.
We did though actually find a blue-tongued skink web page that was rather interesting in a bizarre sort of way.
Anyway. The trick now is to convince Squish that he has to do the writing and finish the project, not Momma. "Can I just trace over yours?"
In case you wondered, this attractive critter lives mostly in Austraila and New Guinea. He eats slugs, snails, spiders and occasionally small animals. He is eaten by snakes, raptors and kookaburras (did you just sing?) They give birth to between 5 -18 babies at a time and can grow to be up to 2 feet long.
The thing that Squish likes most about this lizard is his blue-tongue... which it uses to scare away other animals... oh, and me, too!

1 comment:

Jessica Pears said...

I also like this creature. And yes I am singing "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree-e"