Friday, January 9, 2009

A Day in the Life...

As everyone knows by now we have had another fun weather event here in hip-happenin' Orting! The day started out with my neighbor calling at 6:45am to see if I could put her son on the bus because the road to her babysitter's house had been closed for flooding. I did not know we were flooding... I seem to miss a lot of information sleeping through the news/weather like my Mom used.

Next came a phone call from the school district telling us that a couple of the schools had been cancelled due to flood conditions but that the other three were still open. So i calmly put my littles on the bus and sent them to school. :) Shortly after I received a phone call from the Sheriff's department telling me to be prepared because of the flooding conditions but that I did not need to evacuate. (Yet...)

At about 10:45am I was informed that the schools would all be being evacuated at 11:30 for flooding. Jellybean's teacher called to tell me he would be sent home on the bus.... Squish called and told me he was coming home early... Blonde boy called and said he needed a ride home... all within a 5 minute time span.

By 11:15am sweet Hannah had been dropped off at my house and I went and checked the river. I still had two retention ponds but had never seen the river running so high and angry. The Little's were home and I had gone and picked up Blonde and everything was good for a few minutes. The school district called and cancelled school for the next day. Hannah texted Brownie to tell him there was no band and to come home after his classes at the college. We discussed homework, answered a few phone calls from neighbors and loaded the dishwasher (the world could be ending and I would still have dishes and laundry to do..lucky me).

Anyway. The phone rang again at 12:45. "If you are receiveing this message you are advised to evacuate immediately."

Okay. Good plan.

Long story shorter... we had to wait for Brownie to come home. Put on our shoes... grabbed some snacks and the bags... loaded up and left home. I wish I had taken my camera so that I could have taken a picture of how close the water was to the bridge.... next time I'll remember!

Any way... here are some pictures that I took yesterday when we got back home.
Our retention pond was one ginormous puddle... having risen to the very edge. Usually we have two ponds to enjoy out front..
My pictures aren't wanting to cooperate but here is the edge of our pond. You could just walk right in.
..

If you look close at this picture do you see the line a few feet above the water? Supposedly that is how high the river got.... You could see the wet mud dropping from the side into the water...very cool.....
There? In the middle? Do you see that circle? That is the top of the drainage/over-flow culverty thing. In real life it is rather large made with cement and bars around the top to keep unwanted things out. Can you see it?
Here it is!
(I will try to add more photos... but my machine is being dopey so maybe on a different blog... I wish someone could explain how to make one of those slide show thingys)
I guess we were kind of lucky that things weren't worse. To my knowledge no body in town was hurt. I am sure there was lots of property damage on the other side of town... the road is still underwater in some spots.

4 comments:

princess.evans said...

http://picasa.google.com/

It's linked to Gmail that's where I do all of mine. If you choose that you may have to call me for step by step instructions. :)

Or there is always http://www.flickr.com/

I have never used flickr but a lot of other people I know do.

Lauralee said...

great pictures! I forget about your blog cause I can not get it on my google reader for some reason, I am going to add it to my side bar though..
did you guys stay the night somewhere? isn't that an awful feeling? glad we are all okay!

princess.evans said...

John says your pictures are cool and thanks for posting. You never have invited him to your blog, so I have to pass on messages :)

M.O.M. said...

I tried to invite John before but I don't think it worked. I will try again.